An Ethereal Escape Walking Distance from Pomona’s Campus

By Osiel Ocampo

The earthy smell of sage penetrates my N95 duckbill mask. Purples as far as the eyes can see, yellows in abundance, and every color of green imaginable, the California Botanic Garden is an artist’s palette. Left wanting nothing more, I traverse the winding paths. In every direction, I am greeted by the “largest botanic garden dedicated to California native plants.” Born and raised in California (SoCal/Central Coast), I too feel at home.

This was my fourth time visiting the garden and my first walking the loop trail which encircles all of the different California plant communities. This garden is huge and I still have yet to see it in full. It warrants several, hours long trips. It’s just across the street from Harvey Mudd College, the Claremont Colleges. Within a thirty minute stroll you could be there (using Sumner Hall, Office of Admissions, as a starting point). You could also take the bus, which is free for all students, to visit the garden. I personally love bus adventures. 

The California Botanic Garden offers student discounts and several free days. There are ample opportunities to explore the garden, and for free too. My first visit to the garden was because one of my classes, Chicanas Latinas in Contemporary Society, required students to visit the garden and write a reflection about our visit while tying it back to what we were learning about in class (land acknowledgements). The garden is an additional resource that Pomona students have access to. It is a place for both leisure and academics with “Pomona students [being able to] take courses and carry out research projects at the Garden.”

Whether it’s a picnic with friends, a jaunt or saunter, a jog, me-time, an escape, or an academic course, the garden offers it all. Chock full and bursting at the seams with possibility, your garden experience is yours to curate.